Another Sunday, another day of baking…
We went to L’s parents house with his sister Sam to do a spot of baking and here is the creation… rhubarb and custard muffins! I love baking with Sam, not just because it makes filming the recipes a lot easier… although that is very handy.
Have a look at the recipe below:
I love rhubarb, it reminds me of winter puddings my nan used to make so this was a really lovely trip down memory lane.
- ½ Roasted rhubarb
- 140g light muscovado sugar
- 75ml vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- zest 1 orange, finely grated
- 284ml carton soured cream
- 300g self-raising flour
- 8 tbsp ready-made thick Devon custard, from a carton
- golden caster sugar, for sprinkling
- Prepare the Roasted rhubarb, then cool and drain off the juices (the juice is good mixed into plain yogurt). Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with muffin paper cases. In a large bowl, beat together the sugar, oil, egg, orange zest and soured cream until there are no lumps and all are completely combined. Gently mix in the flour, then fold in the rhubarb.
- Divide 3⁄4 of the batter evenly between the paper cases to generously fill. Using a spoon, press in the centre of each muffin to make a dip. Fill each dip with a small blob of chilled custard, then gently smooth the rest of the muffin mix over the custard. Bake for 25-30 mins or until risen, pale golden and oozing custard. Sprinkle each with a little caster sugar while still warm. Best eaten the day they are made.