If you follow my blog, you may know that I am a big lover of baking, and eating my bakes is just a natural process of the baking. Not particularly good for the waistline and my new healthy lifestyle approach. Gutting I know, cake is amazing!
So it got me thinking, why don’t I set myself a challenge of finding some amazing low calorie, healthy-ish recipes?! Genius idea, huh?
I worked out that some cupcakes I made the other weekend totaled to nearly 400 calories each! 400! That’s pretty much one forth of your daily calorie intake. So I went in search of some recipes (hitting Pinterest naturally) but ending up finding a cupcake recipe where each cupcake is only 167 calories! YAY! If you’ve been reading my “What I ate today” posts, you will also know that I have become a massive lover of the Hairy Dieters cookbooks, so guess where I found this amazing recipe? Yep, The Hairy Dieters cookbook.
I’m not a massive lemon lover, but these are seriously delishous. They give you that ‘cake’ hit you crave but because of the sharpness of the lemon, you won’t have more then 1.
As usual I will be doing a little recipe video on these, I just haven’t had the chance to edit it yet! But stay tuned for that. In the mean time, here’s the recipe for these cupcakes (when I made them I left out the blueberries as I’m not a massive fan of them but if you like them then go for it!)
Skinny Lemon Cupcakes with Drizzly Icing
Serves: 12 (167 calories/portion)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 18 minutes
- 200g self-raising ﬂour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 75g golden caster sugar
- 100g blueberries
- ﬁnely grated zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
- 2 large eggs
- 150ml low-fat natural yoghurt
- 2 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
- 50ml sunﬂower oil
- – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
- 100g icing sugar
- 4–4½ tsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Line a 12-hole deep muﬃn tin with some non-stick paper cases or folded squares of baking parchment.
- Sift the ﬂour and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl and stir in the sugar, blueberries and lemon zest. Make a well in the centre.
- Beat the eggs with a large whisk until smooth, then beat in the yoghurt, milk and oil until well combined. Stir into the ﬂour mixture with a large metal spoon until very lightly mixed.
- Working quickly, divide the batter between the paper cases. Bake in the centre of the oven for 16–18 minutes or until the cupcakes are well risen and golden brown. Transfer them to a wire rack and leave to cool.
- To make the lemon icing, mix the icing sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl until smooth and runny. Using a spoon, drizzle the icing over the cupcakes and leave to set for at least 30 minutes before serving.
If you decide to make these I hope you enjoy them as much as I did. I would love to see your bakes of this or your adaptions! Tweet me or tag me on Instagram:
Full recipe by the Hairy Bikers can be found here: http://www.hairybikers.com/recipes/skinny-lemon-cupcakes-with-drizzly-icing/1618#jY7Dx18cRR1y1C68.97